This photo-blog is designed to work either as a standard blog with images or - by clicking any image - a photo-album. To see an image in full resolution in the 2006 journey, click to the left or right of an image in blog mode.

Friday, December 2, 2011

Melacca Temples on Harmony Street

0. Last Minuet in Melacca
1. Melacca Temples on Harmony Street
2. Kampung Chitti

Sri Poyatha Moorthi Temple is the oldest Hindu temple in Malaysia as well as the oldest functioning Hindu temple in the Malay archipelago.[1] Located in the state of Malacca, the temple is also unique for being one of the few existing Chitty temples in Malaysia. The temple was built by Thavinayagar Chitty, the leader of the Chitty people, in 1781 after the Dutch colonial government of Malacca gave him a plot of land. The temple is dedicated to Vinayagar or Ganesha, the elephant deity. In the back room is a sculpture of the deity with the head of an elephant and the body of a man with four hands. There is another altar dedicated to Lord Muruga, the younger brother of Lord Vinayagar. For a history of the Chitty's see also Kampung Chitti.

The priest blessed Christine put a red dot on her forehead and gave her an offering of banana

Kampung Kling Mosque (Malay: Masjid Kampung Kling) (sometimes also spelt Kampung Keling Mosque) is an old mosque in Malacca, Malaysia. The original structure built by Indian Muslim traders in 1748 was a wooden building and in 1872, it was rebuilt in brick. The mosque is one of the traditional mosques in Melaka, which still retains its original design. The architectural design of the mosque is a cross between Sumatran, Chinese, Hindu, and the Melaka Malay.

The Cheng Hoon Teng Temple at Jalan Tokong, Malacca, is the oldest and surely one of the grandest Chinese temples in Malaysia. The temple, with its curved roof ridge, cut-and-paste chien nien decoration, and gable design, reflects the architectural style of South China, of craftsmen from Fujian and Guangdong. 25 Jalan Tokong, 75200 Melaka, Malaysia +60 6-282 9343

Xian Lin Si Temple A Buddhist temple opposite Cheng Hoon Teng

The Eng Choon Association, at 122 Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock (Heeren Street) is a Hokkien clan association for the Chinese immigrants who originated from the Eng Choon District of Fujian Province in China. Among the members of this association is the family of Tan Beng Swee and Tan Kim Seng, prominent members of the Malacca elite. The clock tower in the Malacca Town Hall was erected by Tan Jiak Kim in memory of his father Tan Beng Swee.

Hokien Huay Kuan clan house. Hokkien is the largest Chinese dialect spoken among Chinese groups in Malaysia. Originally, the Hokkien people were the descendants of the earliest Chinese settlers on the Peninsula who originated mainly from Fujian (also called Min) Province in China. Presently, the majority of Chinese in Malaysia, no matter their ethnic background, use Hokkien as a trade language to converse with other Chinese in particular regions.

Another temple opposite

No comments:

Post a Comment